Copycat Max and Erma's Chicken Tortilla Soup
Our local Max and Erma's just closed down last week, and their Chicken Tortilla soup was one of our favorite things to order!
Here's a copycat recipe that comes pretty close to the original!
Here's what you'll need:
1/4 cup Butter
1/4 cup Flour
4 cups Chicken Broth
1 cup milk
8 oz Velvetta Cubed Cheese
1 can Rotel Petite Diced Tomatoes with Green Chilies
2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
1 tsp. chili powder
salt and pepper to taste
Here's what to do:
- Melt the butter in a large pot and then slowly add the flour. Whisk together to make a roux.
- Slowly add the milk and chicken broth and whisk to combine
- Meanwhile, cook the chicken (unless you already have cooked chicken to use). I boil mine until cooked and then place on a plate and shred it.
- Cube the Velveeta cheese and add to the pot of broth. Reduce to low and stir frequently until the cheese has melted.
- Stir in seasonings and the Rotel Tomatoes/Chilies. I like to blend the can of tomatoes so that there aren't chunks (Like at Max and Ermas)
- Let simmer for 20 minutes or so, stirring frequently.
- Serve with Tortilla Chip Strips (I use store bought, but you can fry your own)
- Serve with extra Mexican Blend Cheese, if desired.