Copycat Max and Erma's Chicken Tortilla Soup
Our local Max and Erma's just closed down, and their Chicken Tortilla soup was one of our favorite things to order!
Here's a copycat recipe that comes pretty close to the original!
Here's what you'll need:
1/4 cup Butter
1/4 cup Flour
4 cups Chicken Broth
1 cup milk
8 oz Velvetta Cubed Cheese
1 can Rotel Petite Diced Tomatoes with Green Chilies
2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
1 tsp. chili powder
salt and pepper to taste
Here's what to do:
- Melt the butter in a large pot and then slowly add the flour. Whisk together to make a roux.
- Slowly add the milk and chicken broth and whisk to combine
- Meanwhile, cook the chicken (unless you already have cooked chicken to use). I boil mine until cooked and then place on a plate and shred it.
- Cube the Velveeta cheese and add to the pot of broth. Reduce to low and stir frequently until the cheese has melted.
- Stir in seasonings and the Rotel Tomatoes/Chilies. I like to blend the can of tomatoes so that there aren't chunks (Like at Max and Ermas)
- Let simmer for 20 minutes or so, stirring frequently.
- Serve with Tortilla Chip Strips (I use store bought, but you can fry your own)
- Serve with extra Mexican Blend Cheese, if desired.